Friday, November 21, 2008

Because I don't want to work on grad school....

...I come up with other things to do. This list includes (but is in NO way limited to):
  1. Perusing facebook looking for photos, or information, or anything I didn't know already.
  2. Perusing the internet for tv shows that I might watch if we
    a)Had a television that got anything other than a grainy version of NBC and an even grainier (word? I say yes) version of ABC. On the flip side, it does get Fox, if you move it to the other room.
    b) Had time to spend on things I wanted to do, rather than things I'm committed to (ie. grad school)
  3. Whining. This includes whining on here, calling friends to whine, whining in e-mails and to my students (yes, I've stooped this low). They seem to find comfort in the fact that there are some things I don't enjoy learning. They only see me with English...and I love English oh-so-much.
  4. Making lists of things I'd do with endless amounts of money. Usually these lists center around food and include purchasing large quantities of things like crackers, cheese, meat of all kinds and cuts, lime flavored tortilla chips, chocolate chips, gourmet coffee with several different flavors of creamer, freshly baked baguettes, egg nog, fresh vegetables, and nuts. Nuts are really expensive.
  5. Looking for books to read...for that glorious day when I have time to read again. This was the impetus (ah! vocab word) for this post. Here are my Top 10, in no particular order, and in no way all-inclusive, just the top 10 classics I happened upon this evening while intentionally distracting myself from my grad school work:
  • Emma (Austen)
  • Vanity Fair (Thackeray)
  • Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
  • Mrs. Dalloway (Woolf)
  • As I Lay Dying (Faulkner)
  • Brave New World (Huxley)
  • Lord of the Flies (Golding)
  • On the Road (Kerouac)
  • Catch 22 (Heller)
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (Marquez)

1 comment:

  1. dearest ashley,
    have you read love in the time of cholera by marquez? i liked it, pretty much, except for a little bit of pedophilia. mostly i just love those titles... LITOC and one hundred years of solitude (i could use that myself, some days!) sooo beautiful! the titles are enough to make me love it.

    hope you had a happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete