Friday, January 15, 2010

And Sometimes, Life Just Pauses

Photobucket

While driving back to my mom's house this afternoon, I was surprised by the unexplainable decrease in speed of the semi in front of me. I was exiting right behind it, and as I drove up the off-ramp and turned onto the bridge passing over the highway, I was delighted to see a young moose trotting across four lanes, slowing everyone in his path. Just as the fellow made it across, he changed his mind (as most adolescents do) and turned his short-horned head around to scamper back across.

I was delighted.

For one brief moment, everyone travelling 65+ miles per hour had to stop and appreciate the wonder of creation and the uniqueness of their surroundings.

--

We have been back in the homeland this weekend, adding another 5,000 miles to the 3,500 we have already traveled in the past thirty days. Too many miles for one month?

Yes.

Despite my current aversion to any mode of transportation, I have been enjoying the many opportunities I have had to pause and appreciate my surroundings. I have been in so many beautiful places, with many wonderful people, and have had lots of time to think and read and just be.

In the midst of a year that seems so full of unknowns about the future, I have been very refreshed by the break from the chaos.

And now, without further adieu, may second semester (and all that it entails) begin.


*While the camera wasn't handy at the highway crossing, this fellow was hanging out down the street from the house.

3 comments:

  1. Even though I see moose almost weekly (there is a mama and two babies who must live around the lake by my house), they still make me stop in my tracks. Everytime it happens, I find myself thinking "I am so happy to live here"... Great picture though, I never get ones that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I feel whenever I visit my parents in Washington. It's always a refreshing break and I find it easier to think clearly about what really matters, what I want, what the Lord wants for me, when I'm out in their woods or walking down their dirt road. Nature is always a great reminder. But as you said, life begins again and we must get on with it. Glad you were able to have a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a moose in person-- not in the wild, not at a zoo, not even when I visited Yellowstone at the tender age of 10. I'm shocked that you saw two (two, right? the one near the highway, then the one in the picture?) in such a short period of time. The only wildlife we see around my home is the neighbor's massive chow who always manages to get off his leash. He sorta looks like a lion!

    Stopping by from another blog we both read!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete