Wednesday, January 6, 2010

“Well somebody has to make the money...”

Photobucket
I guess he's not so bad at relaxing, after all.

…my husband said to me as I lay in bed the morning after Christmas break, listening to my alarm ring. Someone should warn teachers of all the perils of that fateful first day of the new year. From the moment I woke up to the moment I got home I was fairly miserable.

(I say “fairly” because there were a few brief glimpses of enjoyment with the students weren’t around and my coworkers and I were reminiscing about the highlights of our respective break experiences.)

My husband is currently in the midst of his “interview” month, a lovely gift bestowed on fourth year medical students to give them time to gallivant around the country strutting their knowledge and skills to residency programs they hope will hire them.

(Since too many thousands of dollars worth of loans are coming due shortly after graduation, we are very hopeful that one of these interviews will turn into a job.)

Since Curtis only has two interview days this month (and three additional days out of town) we are left with no less than fourteen days whereas my husband stays home while I go off to work. What on earth will he do to fill those days?

(You know, other than things like making dinner, doing laundry, training for a marathon, going to the post office, the bank, the grocery store and visiting our elderly neighbor who is in the hospital.)

So, while I battle it out in the classroom with vacation-remembering teenagers who have forgotten what it is like to have structure and purpose in their days, he will gallivant around town, making my life when I return home as simple as possible.

And I guess that makes being the “bread winner” all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Good luck to your Hubby and to You!

    ReplyDelete