Friday, February 5, 2010

89 Cents of Pure Joy

Photobucket

...I told my husband when he called me to tell me he was on his way home from work. I had just arrived home myself, after stopping at the grocery store. In the midst of collecting onions and cucumbers I had stumbled on a bin labeled with a large fluorescent cartoonish sign proclaiming avocados might be claimed by anyone harboring $1 (less than $1—89 cents!).

As I mashed the soft, green, goodness into an edible paste I realized what a perfect ending it was to the day.

It was one of those days.

I woke up exhausted, after the toddler of one of my friends from (very) different time zone called me at 2am. The work day was littered with needy teenagers, one of whose parents came in for a spontaneous conference about his child’s inability to pass any of her classes. Working out after school involved yawning every five minutes. Grocery shopping involved waiting in lines (which is, obviously, not out of the ordinary).

But then I found the avocado.

Guacamole is one of those foods that brings me back to my childhood. It’s comfort food, right up there with egg sandwiches, bean burritos, and donuts. It rivals a foot rub.

So when I have had a long day, with needy people and an exhausted self, an 89 cent avocado (which is just short of a miracle in early February), made me remember that it’s not all bad. That life will go on, and will get better.

Even a bad day can be remedied with an avocado.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a coincidence! Last night we realized we needed diapers. It had been a long day for both Kevin and I and neither of us was jumping to go to the store. He DID have to study, and I didn't so I went. I HATE grocery shopping. I grabbed the diapers, remembered we were out of tomatoes and headed over to produce. There, before my eyes, was a glorious little sign. "avocados 2/$1." I bought 2 and as I did I seriously thought "a dollar is such a small price to pay for 2 moments of guaranteed happiness." I came home, cut one open, salted it, and ate it with a spoon. It was so good and I was happy. Even a bad day can be remedied with an avocado indeed=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Who knew February was time for them to be so inexpensive?

    ReplyDelete