Monday, February 15, 2010

(Stop) Pay(ing) Attention To Me.

Photobucket
(Alternate Title: Appreciating the delicate balance between too much and too little)

Exhibit A:
Student, who is intentionally seated front and center in my class, fails to pay attention to an important lesson on poetry (and most other lessons, for that matter). Every minute or so I have to remind said student that I am the center of attention. I call myself vain to expect such focus (which elicits a chuckle from the handful of students that hone in on our brief class-interrupting chat) but insist on it anyway.

Said student has a history of being distracted. I can never be quite interesting or engaging enough. I have yet to discover what will capture him for 45 minutes (or five), though he has informed me that basketball and/or video games would be a nice start.

I am sorry, sir. There are not enough (good) poems on basketball (or video games) to comprise a solid unit.

Exhibit B:
A certain medical student (that I live with) is doing a month with a dermatologist to gain a greater understanding on all-things-skin. (Un)Fortunately for me, I was born with my share of interesting skin. This has made me the subject of all sorts of evening scrutiny.

“What are you doing?” I ask, tired from a day of trying to gather attention from uninterested students.
“I’m looking at your moles” ideal, inquisitive student replies.
“They have all been there; they haven’t changed.”
“What about this one? It’s dark.”
“It has always been dark.”
“This one is an odd shape.”
“It has always been an odd shape.”

(Two hours later)

“What are you doing?”
“I was just thinking, have you ever tried (fill in the blank)? I think it would help with (fill in the blank).”

--

I’m not always the most patient person, but you’d think I’d be a little more consistent. You would think, perhaps, that I would appreciate (my husband’s) genuine interest in applying skills learned earlier that day (in a figurative classroom) in every day life (also known as me).

(I am going to leave that one unanswered)

I find my life to be quite the (funny) joke sometimes, where I leave one environment endlessly frustrated with apathy to find another student waiting at home for me ready to exercise (seemingly) endless analysis.

The irony is (indeed) hilarious.

*Note: Monogrammed t-shirt and expert photography provided by sister.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! I love the way you look at life and it is always worth reading.

    ReplyDelete