Friday, April 30, 2010

Finding Work, and Peace

Photobucket

A few days ago, I got out a pile of “work” shirts to iron, and then stopped: it made no sense to iron most of these shirts.

Why? Because they are going to be packed into a box, and put in a truck, and shipped 4,000 miles away. If I were to iron them now, they would not get worn before being re-wrinkled.

And who irons if they don’t have to? I don’t.

Another thing I avoid doing if possible is looking for work. There seems to be so many people in my life right now that are searching for jobs. One person is laid off, the next has a job that is outsourced to India. They drive and fly and search for someone somewhere that is willing to pay for their skills, waiting for a call that will affirm their abilities.

Sometimes that call comes; sometimes they are left to continue their search, growing more anxious by the day.

I can remember looking for a job four years ago. I would check district after district on Monday mornings, looking for leads, donning professional attire and marching into offices trying to elicit an interview.

I succeeded in getting many interviews…but when it came to actually getting a contract, I was coming up short again, and again, and again.

Our upcoming move has put me back in job-hunting mode again. Though our destination has a more favorable job market than I faced four years ago, it doesn’t change the unease and the anticipation of securing an actual position.

Openings don’t equal jobs; interviews don’t ensure positions; jobs don’t equal satisfaction.

I have a friend who is currently pursuing a new position, but she is doing so by choice. She has a job and a network, but she is looking for more, hoping for more in a new place. She doesn’t have to leave where she’s at until she has something better lined up.

I envy her situation.

I am leaving a job I love, a place I love, with no promises of what I may end up with elsewhere.

Change offers such great opportunity for new adventure and opportunity, but a cloud of vulnerability and unrest accompanies the anticipation of those positive experiences.

Six months from now, when we are settled into a new home, when I have started at a new job, and when Curtis has adapted a new routine, I am sure I will revel in all the new adventures and opportunities of which we can be a part. The wonder and unrest that attempts to plague me daily will be a faint memory that I dare not recall.

Until then, I will trust that details will all work out in the end, and while I am at it, appreciate a break from ironing.

1 comment:

  1. I have the best idea ever - why don't we start a virtual high school? What do we need to do to get accredited? You wouldn't need worry about bureaucracy and I wouldn't stress over commuting and we could both spend more time working directly with kids, less time dealing with superfluous paperwork and more time with our husbands. You could coach more and I could write more... or you could stalk the cantankerous hunks of The Deadliest Catch and I could embrace all of Jersey's 16 and Pregnants... the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete