Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Just like Yesterday (and Tomorrow)

Photobucket
The morning glow of the mountains, before the sun makes its arrival...

It's 6:30pm, and I am finally back home.

Sometimes when I drive up to this place that we currently call home I find myself wondering where the day (ie, the last 11.5 hours) has gone. Have I really been gone that long?

I left this morning at 7am, dried oatmeal in a container tucked safely alongside my packed lunch, and a change of clothes. I arrive half a day later in sweaty clothes, dirty shoes, a new stack of papers to grade in my bag, and an empty sack of food.

The day has been a flurry of activity: driving, eating, e-mailing, teaching, grading, eating, teaching, e-mailing, meeting, grading, driving, running, coaching, running, coaching, driving...and now eating--which will then be followed by more grading, and hopefully a generous dose of sleeping.

Tomorrow: repeat.

I am tired.

But I also love it.

And though my creativity is shot for the evening, sometimes it is worthwhile to record the satisfaction of a day that was packed to the brim with productive activity.

Even if this day looks just like yesterday (and tomorrow).

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you have been back to work for such a short time yet you're already in the weeds! I'm glad I retired from coaching ; 9 years was enough time shlepping around on smelly school buses and getting home after the sun was done. I do miss the kids and the games/meets, though, along with my amazing fellow coaches from the HHS track program. The head coach, who we call Doc because he went back at the age of 50 to get his doctorate (and had to travel 4 hours round trip to do so!) is starting his 34th season this year and running with the kids every day.

    ReplyDelete