Tuesday, November 23, 2010

You're Making Us Drive In This?

Photobucket
The roads were icy this morning. Really icy. So icy that I heard a truck spinning its wheels in the middle of the night, desperately trying to make it up the hill outside our condo. So icy that Curtis called to warn me of the treacherous drive ahead of me. So icy that the police department called our superintendent to express that there were "significant problems" on the highways and roads. So icy that twenty miles per hour felt more like more than enough speed on a road that normally calls for fifty.

But apparently not icy enough, early enough.

The freezing rain that could have kept me warm at home in my bed made its appearance about a half hour too late to make a difference in my work day. On the other hand, some of my students, or their parents rather, went ahead and opted for the warm bed against the temptation of treacherous roads, leaving my first period class attendance at 42%, with my second period only rising to 66%. On days like this a teacher is forced to make a tough decision: Teach a new lesson to (less than) half the class? Review while trying to maintain the attention of students anxious to make it to the late-week holiday? Give up and allow the students to do whatever they want?

I choose D: Hope for a day off tomorrow, when the freezing rain is scheduled to make another appearance.

Meanwhile, I dream of making another round of the delicious cinnamon rolls I created this weekend...

1 comment:

  1. Is there a cinnamon roll recipe? I'm always begging you for recipes and you're like a vault; are you planning on publishing the Alaskan Teacher's Guide to Cookery?

    42% is, in my opinion, a definite call for free for all. 66%, on the other hand, should involved an organized activity however it's not enough attendance to present a well crafted lesson plan to, therefore I say it's Apples to Apples time. You can work the "whoever is judging the green card is your audience. You are the writer and the red cards symbolize the tools you can use to engage that particular audience. First, identify your audience and then choose a card that is most appropriate for that particular audience..."

    The kids LOVE the game and you've covered your educational back...

    ReplyDelete