Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Bit of Blah

Photobucket
Fake drama, anyone? Part of snow-cave-adventure-weekend was a staged avalanche survival exercise. Trying to follow along as a bunch of medical professionals "saved" victims made be more than aware of my lack of knowledge about the human body.

Good thing I know exactly how to use a semicolon.

We hit our stride this week, after an unusual few weeks that involved Christmas break, travels, snow cave construction and a four week rotation requiring Curtis to work only 40-50 hours a week.

We almost felt like a normal couple.

The weather seemed to echo our own experiences, bouncing back to reasonable temperatures (above ten degrees, or even zero) and granting us the first fresh coat of snow in nearly a month. The last month of extreme cold and unseasonable warmth settled on a typical neutral.

And so did the hours of our schedules.

For some reason that I can't explain, January and February seem to be "a bit of blah" (as I explained it to my friend) every year. Things are a bit too routine, with not a lot of excitement to keep life feeling new and fresh. School has been in session for five months, but it's not stopping anytime soon. The winter is beautiful, but has been around for a while. The darkness is receeding, but not fast enough.

Subsequently, I sometimes find myself moving from task to task with an underlying feeling of "blah" that makes grading papers a bit more aggravating, laundry a bit more bothersome, and cleaning and tidying a task to be perpetually put off.

The good news? We are near the end of January. So this "blah" stage is about half over.

The bad news? Third quarter means one thing for me as an English teacher: research papers. My mind in constantly littered with thoughts and plans for teaching website credibility, proper academic writing structure, and endlessly trying to come up with a system that will help my students not lose things.

I'm pretty sure that keeping track of notes, sources and a pencil all at once is the number one problem.

In the mean time, we'll attempt to spice things up with skis on the fresh snow, cinnamon rolls for weekend breakfast, and reading books for fun (gasp!) at the local coffee shop.

(All while finishing the laundry and putting things away, of course.)

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever "tricked" your students into writing the research paper? I've done it a couple of times but some of my colleagues do it every year and have great lesson plan units. Basically, it's a process that works in reverse, if I remember correctly, and the kids are never told that they are writing a research paper until it's almost finished. If you want, I could email a few people and see if they could fwd me their plans and then I can fwd them to you.

    Ps. love your mastery of parallel structure.

    ReplyDelete