Friday, January 28, 2011

Menagerie

Photobucket
That is the word I came up with when pressed to decide what spelling bees and quilting have in common. They were both on my mind as I went about my evening: paying the bills, searching for Curtis's W2's, emptying my breakfast and lunch tupperwares from my school bag.

Tomorrow is the classroom round of the junior high spelling bee, and I had words on my mind as I went about my business: curmudgeon, Kelvin, jalapeno, yeti, legalese, convivial...and then that morphed into my visions of my latest quilt planning. I spread the fabric on the floor yesterday, and then sat and placed each scrap or yard into piles of different colors, an irregular crayon box that had enough order to look intentional, and enough eclectic options to make any artist drool.

And it was in that moment that I convinced myself that quilting and spelling bees are not so different. Both are collections of items that have something in common, even as they are infinitely different. They follow rules, and have structure and form, and yet can be collected together in ways that are beautiful and ugly and interesting and boring and awe-inspiring.

Now, I am off to work on assembly of my own...

1 comment:

  1. I just think you should know I would fail miserably in a spelling bee! And quilting for that matter! ;)

    ReplyDelete