Monday, January 24, 2011

Salad-Du-(Every)-Jour

Photobucket

Every Wednesday the school I work at has a “soup and salad” luncheon. Various teachers throughout the school volunteer a couple weeks a semester to bring soup or salad for forty, and the other weeks that teacher gets to feast on someone else’s crockpot creation or fresh greens.

It’s a welcome mid-week break.

Last week was my turn to bring lunch, and I purchased the fixings for one gigantic salad. I opted to make the same creation I made first semester (blue cheese, pear, and Dijon oil vinegar dressing), and purchased the same amount of materials.

The problem? Apparently people are more hungry in October than January. Perhaps the other dishes were more appetizing; maybe serving an autumn fruit in the dead of winter was uncouth. Whatever the reason, the lunch period came and went and the second half of my salad never needed to be prepared.

Curtis and I have never been good at throwing things out. Whether it is the running shoes he wore in junior high (that I would love to trash) or the unappetizing leftovers (that I can’t take for lunch for the 17th day in a row), we are people that believe in using everything—especially food.

When I came home that day with a mountain of salad fixings, Curtis wasn’t overly dismayed. He loves salad. When I showed him that I had already purchased extra lettuce (in addition to the leftovers) for salad fixings, he added that we’d have to get creative.

After all, the clock was ticking.

We are on day five of the massive-salad-construction-project, and have made several lovely creations. The classic blue cheese and pear on Wednesday (for both lunch and dinner) morphed into blue cheese and apple on Friday, which was a nice change up from the taco salad consumed on Thursday for dinner and Friday for lunch. Over the weekend we continued trying to work through the massive pile of greens, with today’s salad-du-jour being one with salmon, avocado, tomato, cilantro and feta.

Yes, necessity is the mother of invention (or a new appreciation for allrecipes.com, depending on how you look at it).

As would be expected, the greens are slowly starting to wilt, and we are down to our last eight cups. It’s anyone’s guess as to whether we will consume the greens before they need to be tossed. This much is clear, however: we gave it our best fight. If we lose, we will have done so struggling against the decomposition process until the bitter end.

And our vitamin and mineral levels will be all the better because of it.

2 comments:

  1. You are a rock star my friend! I could NOT eat that much salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get to the point you are at, I throw it in a pan with some eggs and turn it into an omelette. Or a frittata. Or just scrambled mess with greens.

    ReplyDelete