Thursday, March 31, 2011

Unpredictable Variables

Photobucket
A very small patch of green I scouted out last weekend near our condo. Needless to say it was gone this morning...

Yesterday was yet another valiant effort at spring: 50 degrees, mostly sunny, balmy as I walked out to my car in shorts and a t-shirt after practice. Never mind that the sidewalks were covered in snow and ice and slush (with a small lake forming toward one end of the parking lot), it felt like spring, an arctic version of it anyway.

And then today happened: Good morning, snow storm. How are you? The ice ruts that have been forming on our road with the freezing and thawing of slush were covered in an uneven, rugged blanket of white. Small flecks of white stuff hit the windshield as I drove to school, small flecks that turned into healthy flakes, accumulating on everything as I arrived on campus. It made it look a lot like......winter.

By the time it was 10am, the snow plow was clearing the sidewalk outside my classroom, adding more volume to the mounds of snow pushed into corners and along walls over the course of the season.

We were making such progress...and I feel like we have taken two giant steps backward.

I guess it's not all bad. The 5-9 inches that were supposed to show up today materialized as 2-3, and a look at the weather report shows renewed hope in springtime. Indeed, perhaps the fickle weather is taking a cue from the adolescents I hang out with on a daily basis: every day brings something unexpected. And yet, that is one of the reasons I have always loved my job in the first place. There is nothing mundane or predictable about walking into a classroom with thirty variables.

I suppose that means I should also love spring in Alaska. Because even though the weather report called for inches of snow when it is practically April, the forecast calls for mostly sunny tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment