Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hello, Summer.

Photobucket
Today is officially the first day of summer. Yesterday, classroom cleanup and organization followed Thursday’s final lessons. The students have been squirrelly all week, and between their high energy and my low energy (thanks to last weeks far too busy schedule, and Sunday’s triathlon) I found myself crawling into bed on more than one afternoon.

I. was. exhausted.

Today? I’m feeling energized. Curtis walked out the door for work by 8 and I was up doing laundry, emptying the dishwasher, organizing miscellaneous items and trying to resume a semblance of order at home. And that is when the dreaming begins: summer projects.

Summer projects were shafted last year due to our nomadic state, job hunting, and “the move”. I suppose I had lots of summer projects, they just weren’t the usual suspects: buy a condo, get hired, try to find _______ in any number of duffles/bags/locations. The constant rain put a damper on aspirations of outdoor adventures, though many an outing happened anyway.

More than anything I guess today is a day to look forward and back, take stock of where I’ve come from, and where I’m going. The summer will go quickly; it always does. In less than three months I’ll be unpacking the cabinets and drawers of my classroom and assembling the world of teaching once again.

Only then, I hope, I’ll have passed on this exhaustion and will feel refreshed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to need for you to come work for me so that I can have a summer vacation. That's fair, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the daily summer emails commence!

    ReplyDelete