Friday, May 25, 2012

The End of the Line

IMG_3243 School let out a week ago, but with classes filling my schedule this week I am just now feeling the sigh of relief. After four days of sitting for eight hours of learning from current teachers and college professors, I felt like I was going to go a little crazy. Teaching is a lot of things, but it rarely involves sitting in one spot for an eight-hour day.

“Highlight something that makes you sing,” a teacher told me this morning as she handed out an article about the newest school standards. Normally a kindergarten instructor, she actually did a pretty good job of not speaking to our class as if we were five—a typical problem with teachers-as-instructors. I’ll be the first to admit that I have accidentally brought my teacher voice home on occasion, but being spoken to as if I’m in elementary school for hours on end makes me want to bang my head on my desk.

When I finally was released from the classroom late this afternoon, the relief of summer break finally spilled over me. With that relief was the surge of productivity I count on to catch up on all-things-neglected: depositing pay checks, mailing off bills, cleaning the dirtiest bathroom I have ever been the owner of, and cleaning out leftovers that have been in the fridge for longer than I’d like to admit.

One event that wrapped up this week as well was a race I signed up for months ago, in an attempt to bolster my fitness in the midst of the coaching-and-teaching-chaos that comes at the end of the year. Last year it inspired me to workout after practices and in the midst of exhaustion, capping off the school year and marking a beginning to summer fun. This year my training wasn’t quite as consistent, but the race still was a great experience. Several friends competed in the same event, and since starts were staggered I was able to spend hours outside cheering and socializing and embracing my role as someone that didn’t have to go home and grade papers.

Perhaps that is what I’m looking forward to most as summer officially begins: being a person other than teacher. So here is to being a reader, a cook, a housekeeper, a runner and biker, a sister and a daughter and a friend. I am excited to embrace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment