Friday, November 16, 2012

Future Reads (because previously, I haven't had much time...)


In case I ever doubted, this past week solidified that reading is one of my favorite past times. As Thanksgiving break approaches, including a blessed four-day weekend, I find myself eagerly scrolling through my library's options. I mark books that I read or hear reviews about, checking to see if paper or electronic copies are up for grabs.  I time my rentals carefully--being sure not check them out too early, lest a deadline hit in the middle of a period I actually have reading time. Here's the latest on my reading agenda:

My Name is Not Easy, Edwardson












I was introduced to this local author through her book Blessing's Bead, a young adult novel about a teenage girl trying to fit together her history as an Alaska native and her current life as a city teen. She has experienced her fair share of hardship, but learns that everyone has their own burdens, and she is not alone in her brokeness. I have heard that this novel is based somewhat on the life of her husband, an Alaska native, who had his share of struggles growing up as well.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Chua
This controversial book is one I missed in the initial hype, but have since heard much about. I was intrigued by the controversy surrounding an American family raising their daughters by more strict Asian ideals, and perhaps somewhat already finding myself drawn to books about parenting in one form or another.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, Cain
I read about this book recently and was thrilled to find it in our online library. I always considered myself to be an extrovert, until as an adult I started reading about qualities of introverts. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle, but there is no question in my mind that as I get older I am increasingly drawn to time away from noise and people and distraction, off by myself to write and quilt and think. I am intrigued by the labels we use for ourselves: introverts, extroverts and such, and what they truly mean in definition.

Operating Instructions: A Journal of my Son's First Year, Lamott
This classic by Anne Lamott is perhaps the most fitting for my current station in life, and rounds off my list of over ambitious reading for this holiday. I love nearly everything I have ever read by Anne Lamott, since I started with Travelling Mercies in high school. Her candid, brutally honest writing truly makes me laugh out loud, and her humble wisdom oozes out of the most unlikely experiences. I picked this up at the used book store over a month ago, and I have been glancing at it longingly ever since.

And my current read, Waiting for Birdy, Newman
I'm about halfway through this hysterical and reflective narrative on pregnancy, coupled with stories about raising a three year old. While I'm glad to not be chasing a toddler during this round of baby-growing, I'm not sure that chasing 120 teenagers feels so different at times. Clearly this book fits my current experience well, and perhaps that's why I'm enjoying it so fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment