Friday, November 14, 2014

Twenty Months

Her hair smells of soy and ginger, with two antenas slicked up in random spots on her head, the product of juicy hands coming through her locks as she finished her ample bowl of stir fry at lunch.

Her mullet is impressive these days, with curls in the back that must be swept the side in order to button up her shirt, while the front is nowhere close to covering her ears, nor blocking her vision. Curtis would love to cut it, to even it out somehow. I wouldn't dream of it. As much as there is nothing I can do to make the front grow faster, there is no way I could force myself to snip off the subtle feminine curls in the back--a bit of my daughter that resembles me, even as her face and eyes remind many of her many other relatives. 

She runs with a quick turnover and a purposeful stride, one that has been noted by fellow friends and fellow running coaches alike. We are asked often about her future athletic pursuits, the result of living in a small town where her father's athletic victories of decades prior will undoubtedly hover in the back of minds when people size up my little girl. 

For now, at all of twenty months, her stamina is impressive for her age and her size. For now, we comment on her massive appetite every morning: 1 cup of full fat plain yogurt, 1 full banana, 1 cup of dry oatmeal, prepared with pureed pumpkin, chia seeds, a splash of maple syrup. I don't eat nearly that much for breakfast, and I'm learning that my days of sharing a large serving of lunch or dinner are gone as well. If I don't prepare two full servings for the two of us, I'm likely giving up my own. 

Yet, if my time as a parent has taught me anything so far, it's that (nearly) all will change in time. While her love for movement and determination are two traits that have held true since birth, sleep patterns and appetites and chosen activities waver as she develops. For now, I cherish this little person she has become, even as she grows and changes every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment